Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.

My dad keeps teasing me in front of my peers and their parents/his

My dad keeps teasing me in front of my peers and their parents/his friends. I ask him to stop as it is embarassing me. He tells me I just need to learn to laugh. He is a firefighter and has had lots of sensitivity training but seems to no use it at home.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning,

You may want to confront him on the lack of sensitivity at home. Sometimes people are really not aware how their words and actions affect others. If he brushes it off, write him a letter outlining how his words affect your self esteem.etc. See if your mother can vouch for you. It is unfortunate that he is doing this and it can be quite hurtful.