Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

I have a 7 year old boy, who keeps getting into trouble at

I have a 7 year old boy, who keeps getting into trouble at school. I honestly do not believe he is starting the incidents, but he gets sucked into an argument/disagreement and it turns physical. Today was the third time this year (school year) and I don't know how to handle it anymore. After the last two incidents, he lost tv and video games privileges, and access to his toys for two weeks. The last incident, he wrote a letter to the other student and the teacher to apologize. Obviously, those punishments did not work as planned. What type of punishment is appropriate for a 7 year old?
Did he start this behavior this year? Has anything worked in the past for misbehavior of any kind?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, this just started this year. He became friends with another little boy who is a little more wild than my son (I don't tolerate rough behavior at home). The other little boy is a sweet kid but he just plays rougher (as he has 3 much older brothers at home). The punishments I've tried do work, but only for a short period of time. The last incident happened right before Thanksgiving.
Ok so here is a suggestion for him. Use one behavior chart and write down the one specific rule you want him to obey. Be as specific and clear as possible about the behavior you do not want. Then, write a clear and specific consequence that will follow if the rule is broken. Make the consequence very uncomfortable for him. And because it worked before it will work again. Let him know what this plan is and then stick to it at all costs. He will test it to make sure you mean business so stay the course. He needs to know that this is a serious matter and there will be strict consequences for his actions.