Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children

My daughter cannot stop lying. She is almost 7 now and sneaks

Customer Question

My daughter cannot stop lying. She is almost 7 now and sneaks water after her cutt off even though we allow her to ask and we will give her a small sip. We know she is still sneaking and lying because she is wetting the bed daily even after I wake her up at night. My relationship with my daughter and my fiancee is being truly tested...We have tried taking toys, grounding to her room, spankings, etc...She wont stop. Do you have any suggestions?

Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.

Take this young girl to the doctor, enuresis is a problem many children have and no matter what you do she cannot help it or is she doing it on purpose. If you put pull-ups on her at night you wouldn't have to worry about her wetting the bedding. Spanking serves no purpose except to help your frustration. There are medications available to help her problem, it will help you too by getting rid of the frustration. She won't stop because she can't. It has nothing to do with her sneaking water.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its not the wetting the bed at all. She cheats at school and cheats at every game she plays just to win. She has no remorse when she lies or cheats as long as she gets away with it. Then she fake cries and wants everyone to feel sorry for her. We have tried every direction we can think of to help her change...i am not upset about her wetting the bed just that she cant tell the truth until she gets caught and even then she will sometimes deny it, which is why i think she has no remorse...any suggestions
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.

Your first post sounded like the bed wetting was getting to you along with her lying. I would suggest that you have her see a psychologist and have an evaluation. If she has no remorse that is a red flag and better to deal with her issues now than when she becomes a teen.