Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

My seven-year old son who is normally quite happy and well-behaved

My seven-year old son who is normally quite happy and well-behaved has recently been very unhappy and not able to sleep, not happy doing anything he is asked eg. going to bed, eating his tea, going to school etc and over-reacting to small situations with real anger or getting inconsolable.
I have tried to talk to him about how he is feeling and if there is anything in particular which is upsetting him such as school, friends and so on. He doesn't seem to know what is wrong but I feel he is thinking too much and worrying about really trivial things.
He is a very bright child, which is why I think he is thinking so much and I am now at a loss as to what to do next. Can you help?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Because you have tried to talk to him with no such luck I would suggest touching base with a therapist to see if there is more going on in your child's life then meets the eye. You can bring him in for a couple of appointments jsut to see if you are overlooking something. But I think your hunch is right that something is going on because of the change in behavior. this is usually a sign of depression or anxiety.