Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.

My 2 yr old all of a sudden started screaming when we are at

Customer Question

My 2 yr old all of a sudden started screaming when we are at my boyfriend's house, he used to be one of her main caretakers and all of a sudden one day this started. Why could this be and how do I fix it?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Evening,

Since she is only 2, you most likely won't be able to rely on a lot of verbal indication as to the reason from her. You may want to think when this behavior had initially started (were there other people the last time she was there prior to the screaming incident at the next visit) See if he remembers anything out of the ordinary having taken place (whether she may have gotten frightened by something on TV, if she may have faller and hurt herself, if she may had been reprimanded, etc)

This behavior could be corrected if you get the reason(s) behind it) One thing to do to halt undesirable behavior is to ignore it (if you think this is a habit she's starting to develop for attention) The other, is to reassure her prior to going there that things will be ok (if there is no reason to think otherwise) You can let her know that she can bring her favorite toy with her and that if no screaming incidents occur you could have some immediate reward for her (special treat, etc)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Before we go there I talk w/ her about where we are going and that she needs to be a good girl. I am at my whits end b/c she will do this and he cares for her and he thinks that I may think that he hurt her. Which I know he would NEVER do. I just wish this would stop.

She screams when I leave her at the sitter's also, but she will scream at the smallest things. My older daughter never did this and it keeps getting worse. I feel silly b/c I feel like I am over reacting b/c I even took her to the doctor b/c it has been going on (the whinning) for so long.

How long does this phase or should it take to get this to stop? No matter what I do she just screams.

Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

You can take it to the next stop of reward/consequence because she may make more of a habit of it. It is possible that she does not want to be left there (or anywhere else) and is using the tantrum for attention.

You can let her know you would apply a consequence for negative behavior i.e the screaming (it has to be immediate) the reward too has to be immediate (for positive behavior) See what things she considers consequences- taking a favorite toy away, not getting favorite snack etc. and positive- extra play time, cookie, watching TV, etc.

Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.
My Kid is Acting Out and I'm About to Shout! Parenting Made Easy (Audio CD - Mar 4, 2008)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok Thank you. All I got from her doctor was it's the terrible two's. It made way to much of a turn for the worse for it to be that.

Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

You may want to have her see a child psychologist. The fact that she does exibit this behavior at specific times is something to be looked into and worked on.

If info was helpful please accept so I can receive a credit for my work. Thank you