Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

Im on an outdoor education trip with my daughters 4th grade

Customer Question

I'm on an outdoor education trip with my daughter's 4th grade class and one of the students in my instructional group is repeatedly having difficulty following directions. What do I do?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
You can keep that child with you at all times. Or, if this is a chronic problem, tell the parent that there will be no more field trips for the child unless the parent accompanies the child during the trip.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It will be a 3 day outdoor education trip that I'll be chaparoning and the child's parent will not be there to intervene. I will have to handle the situation on the spot and it may be during a long hike or during a craft. I really need tips to get the child in line, so they don't disrupt the rest of the group. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Before the trip you need to tell the child what your clear expectations are for their behavior. Lay this out as simple as possible. So you might say: stay by my side at all times, no hitting, etc.. whatever you anticipate the big problem to be. Now when you tell this child this you also need to have a specific consequence in mind and be prepared to follow through with. So two things this child needs to be able to tell anyone who asks her. 1) the rules are... and 2) If I don't follow the rules then ...happens. And the main point is to follow through with the consequence every time. I think this might be your best course of action.