Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children

what is the best way to handle a 3yr old who really misbehaves

what is the best way to handle a 3yr old who really misbehaves at home, but when I have here here 1-2 days a week she doesn't do it to me. I am her Gran and she is really driving her mom nuts with her fits and independence
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.

Kids are smart and this young one knows how to push her mother's buttons. Most children will behave better for others. She knows that if she screams and acts up she will eventually wear Mom down. I would suggest that when she goes home Mom takes a minute to sit with her calmly and either read a book or do something that gives the child her full attention. Let her know when it's a minute or two before Mom needs to stop and do something else. Kids want nothing but attention and time and in this rushed world it is really hard to parent, work, schedule and organize. But a few calming moments can work wonders. Great book, 1-2-3 Magic.... every parent should read it and use it.
Please click accept and leave feedback