Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.

Have 6 year old twins who received gifts from a visiting uncle.

Have 6 year old twins who received gifts from a visiting uncle. The girl usually has a harder time sharing than the boy. Today, both had problems with sharing. When I told my son to return my daughter's toy, he reluctantly did so, but took a cardboard picture (depicting her toy) that accompanied her princess & pony, and angrily ripped off the head of the princess from the picture. She didn't notice, but I did. He also gave her a little shove when he returned the toy. Neither of these is typical behavior for my son. Neither action was violent--I don't believe my son realized that he was tearing off a head. I think he just was ripping an appendage off of the cardboard. My problem--is that I lost it, because she has never destroyed anything of his. I probably acted less maturely than a 6 year old! I threatened to throw his toys out & nix Christmas! He went to bed crying. I probably shouldn't have gotten involved. Said too much bad stuff! How do I begin tomorrow? Should I say anything?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning,

Adults too can make mistakes. That is human. Since children learn largely by observation (modeling) yes, definitely say something to him. Let him know that you had been surprised by the way he acted angrily and that in turn had made you upset. Explain to him that neither is a good or healthy way to express frustration.

This will teach him that people accept responsibility for their behavior and that you are willing even as an adult to admit an error on your part (which builds trust and respect from the child's perspective)