Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

I have a 13-yr-old son and a 4-yr-old daughter. Because we

I have a 13-yr-old son and a 4-yr-old daughter. Because we had visitors one weekend, my daughter was sleeping in our master bedroom while her grandma slept in hers. One night, as I walked into my bedroom, I saw my son laying next to my daughter and he was rubbing his penis on her thighs. When I asked him, he said that he hasn't been successful on his "masturbation sessions" for the past month and that he wanted to know what it feels to be rubbing "something warm". How do I approach this? .

PS...he still believes in Santa Claus, hence he might be a 13-yr-old but he acts more like a 10 or 11 yr old.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Oh boy, we have a problem on our hands. I know maturity might be an issue with your son but in any case he is displaying sexual perpetrator behaviors. Because I don't know the extent of these behaviors, and probably you don't either, I would highly suggest contacting a counselor and addressing this issue in therapy. I say this so that it can be identified rather quickly if it is a maturity thing or if it a sexual molestation thing. You and the therapist should sit down and discuss how this issue should be approached in either case. For example, will he need intensive treatment, or would you and your son need to sit down and talk about appropriate and innapropriate behavior. It could go either way, but I would feel more comfortable if you sat face to face with a therapist to address this issue.