Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children

My 8 year old son has been repeatedly attacked by a school

My 8 year old son has been repeatedly attacked by a school bully. I have made multiple complaints about this child, and I do not feel that the school can or will take the necessary action to keep my child safe. They tell me they're keeping the boys apart, but they are not managing to do so. My son is still being attacked during recess and lunch, kicked, shoved, thrown on floor and punched until he is curled in a ball crying. My son reported it to a teacher, and was told to go play somewhere else, but the bully with friends chased him down, ripped his shoe off and kicked around, out of his reach.
HI, IF the school refuses to address this issue I would suggest you either call the other child's parents or if it's that bad call the authorities. No child should be subject to this type of treatment. Have you gone in and talked to the principal? I find it hard to believe that a teacher would not address a situation where a child is being beat up until he is curled in a ball. From you other post I can see that there is a lot going on in your life, could your son be looking for attention due to the fact that you have a new baby and one who doesn't sleep? Just curious. The school can take action if a child is being attacked. sp make sure you have everything documented.
Please click accept and leave feedback when you are satisfied.

Edited by Dr. Keane on 11/25/2009 at 1:13 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry, but I think you have me confused with somebody else. This is my first post here, and I do not have a new baby. My 8 year old is my youngest. I have had a meeting with the vice principal. After the first incident, they made the kid write my son an apology, which made my son feel better, but accomplished very little otherwise. A teacher did step in and stop the second incident (at lunch) where my son was curled up crying. That teacher complained to the principal about that incident. There was one more incident at recess, where my son had a tether ball punched into his face, before the school finally put the boy on an "in-house suspension." They told me, they did not want to give him a full suspension, because his parents would just let him stay home and play.For a while after that there were no incidents, until this week at recess the same boy got a group of friends to help him chase my son down and throw him down. My son got away and told a teacher, and the teacher told him to stay away from the boy and play somewhere else. He did so, and the kid chased him down again. I left messages with the principal and vice principal again, and have now involved the police as well.
hi,sorry if i confused your son with another posting. You did the right thing by involving the police, it's not fair to your son and if this other child needs help going to the authorities is the right thing to do. If you find that you are not getting enough help in resolving this issue, then you mqy have to hire a lawyer and if the school hears that they will certainly pay more attention to the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. I am a military wife, so have free legal advice available on post. I will look into that.