Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children

Hi, One of my friends sons keeps hurting things... ie baby,

Customer Question

Hi, One of my friends sons' keeps hurting things... ie baby, puppies, toys etc. We have caught him choking his little brother and now hurting the puppies... I would not say it is super violant, but he is getting pleasure from it and does something everyday. He just turned 5 and his mother wants to ensure she curbs this behavior so she and her family can have more peace as well, not sending him to school with these tendancies next year... Any advice....

Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.
The most important thing she can do for her son right now is to have him evaluated by a child psychiatrist. Although it is normal for a child to act out when he / she isn't getting attention due to a new baby in the home or even puppies it can become pathological when he is experiencing pleasure from his actions. That is not normal. It could be nothing and maybe a little more attention, time spent with him, rules and boundaries in place could help him but to be sure I would suggest an evaluation.
I hope this helps
Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied