Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children

how do i tell my daughter who has just turned 8 that im stopping

Customer Question

how do i tell my daughter who has just turned 8 that im stopping her from seeing her father?
he ha seen her once in 9wks and he only lives 5mins away.he cancels 1hr before he is meant to see her,saying that he is still at work in devon etc,but his van is parked outside his house!on the 4th wk he cancelled my daughter poohed herslf in the park cus she was so worried he would cancel.she has come out in exzema round her eyes which the doctor says is stress.she is a lovely,calm child normally but when he cancelled she was throwing things round the room screaming she hates him.but she says she still wants to c him.this isnt the 1st time he has done this,when she was 4 he didnt bother seeing her for 6mths,also various other times.wot do i say to her?ive taked to him dozens of times but he doesnt care about how she feels.he doesnt hug her or take her anywhere of play anything with her and she always looks forward to seeing him then comes home disappointed.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.

How painful for your daughter to be disappointed time after time by her dad. I do not know if I would tell her you are stopping him from seeing her. I would tell her that since Daddy always cancels you have decided to change things around so that when he is able to keep his appointments with her he'll show up. She is exhibiting so many signs of stress, It may be to harsh just telling her that ...

Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied.