Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.
19260254

I have a 9 year old that has a speech problem (sometimes moderately

I have a 9 year old that has a speech problem (sometimes moderately severe stutters
and at the moment is doing well and has been for the last 8 weeks or so). Anyway,
I do worry about him making friends. The kids at school for the most part, seem
to like him, and he likes them and plays with a group most days at school.
However, he really never seems to get an invitation to spend the night or go go
a friends home. We do live in another town than where the school is located. There
are no kids his age that attend the same school only some younger and some older.
We have had kids over to spend the night with us, and they always seem to have
a great time.... he gets invitations to birthday parties, and always wants to go.
When he goes he seems to have fun. Sometimes I think that he comes accross
as reserved. Guess I am always worried about his speech maybe keeping him from
getting invited, but I really can't see why this would be the case. Do you think
that I am over worried?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

Good Evening,

A mother can never worry enough. That is what mothers do. As far as if there is any substance to your worry, that may or may not be the case. If he enjoys going to the parties that is an indicator that others are not overly concerned about his speech. Kids usually like to have fun. A speech difficulty is not contagious so this may not be the issue for invitation. You had mentioned that he seems reserved. This may be more likely of what is going on. Of course, the more he interacts with others, the more he may like to do it. You won't be able to change a personality pattern if he is more introverted but even introverts enjoy the company of few close friends.

If he has not used the services of a speech therapist, you may want to contact your medical insurance to see if they cover the services and to get referrals.

You can also see if kids can come for a sleep over to your home (if that is possible) and he can invite some of his peers that he is friends with.

Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience: Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.