Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.

I have three boys, aged (almost) 13, (almost) 6, and 9 1/2.

I have three boys, aged (almost) 13, (almost) 6, and 9 1/2. They are watched by mother when I work. I drop them off at her house around 6:30 AM. The oldest gets on the bus shortly thereafter, leaving the 5 yo and the 9 yo with my mother. Unfortunately, they are holy terrors for her, and actually for me as well. They have driven her to the point that she dreads the thought of them being with her over school vacations. They talk back, scream at her, ignore her when she tells them they can't do or have something. They do all this to me and my husband as well. It's gotten to the point that I may have to put them in daycare to give her a break, but I really can't afford it. What can I do? I'm really at the end of my rope.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Evening,

If you have to consequent them for the behaviors before, let them know that you will and follow through with it. They are acting out with her because they do not respect her and do not believe that she can discipline/consequent them. You may let them know that the expectations are at her home the same as the rules are at home.

Allow them to know that certain things that they enjoy whether it is TV, video games, extra play time, etc. will be taken away when they act out. Also let them know how they can earn these back ex: listen to grandmother, do chores at her home and at yours etc. Make sure that they understand that it is their behavior that leads to them losing the things they enjoy, that it is a temporary thing and that they can earn them back (its all up to how they behave)