Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.

My 3 yr old has to have all the windows and blinds closed at

Customer Question

My 3 yr old has to have all the windows and blinds closed at all times and this just started 2 weeks ago. If either are open she will start crying and just goes crazy and will beg you to shut them and if you dont and tell her no she will try to do it herself. what is wrong with her?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning,

She may have become sensitive in response to something that may have taken place about 2 weeks ago such as witnessing something outside or on TV that had taken place outdoors.

She may also be doing this without any external cause for it.

It may be possible to engage her in age related play and try to extract what the reason is (if any) or you could also engage her in the play or tell her a story that takes place in a little girl's room with the windows open and has a happy plot and a happy ending.

You could also try to have one of the curtains open and let her see how nice the light reflects into the room and gradually day after day open the curtains more.