Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.
19260254

My 5 year old left our yard and went running around the neighborhood

Customer Question

My 5 year old left our yard and went running around the neighborhood without permission. When he did this I smacked him on the bottom hard once. Sent him to his room. This was the second time he did this. My husband now tells him he has to stay in the house and not play outside for 3 days. I think this is extreme for a 5 yr old? What do you think?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning,

Yes, 3 days for a 5 year old are too long. Younger children need immediate consequences to their behaviors. If you have already explained to your son why it is not appropriate to run in the neighborhood like that, let him ahead of time what the consequence will be if he does it again. Perhaps he has a favorite toy that you can take away for that day or watches movies at certain time in the evening (that you an take away that for that day) etc. Of course, let him know why you are doing so and how he can earn those back.

Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience: Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I thought too, immediate consequences otherwise they won't remember why they are being punished. I guess now I need to get an expert on relationships so I can get my husband to understand. Obviously if I am willing to pay for this question my husband and I have difficulty agreeing on punishment for our kids. He is a police officer and sometimes he just goes a little too extreme. Thanks I am going to show him this answer I think it will help him listen to me a little more. Greatly appreciated.
Melissa Warnell
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

It is important for the child to get the same messages from mom and dad (otherwise they get confused and in time may listen only to the parent that they feel they can manipulate)

If there are any parenting classes of family counseling available in your area, this would be a good place to see what works and what does not in your home.