Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.

I am having a hard time with my twenty yr.old son. He is not

I am having a hard time with my twenty yr.old son. He is not working and also is undecided about school.He sleeps all day and stays up all night, and my husband and I are paying for his truck and insurance and we fight when I bring up any ideas or suggestions on how to modivate him. He is in the Army reservers but he seems to think that is enough. please advise. Thank you
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Evening,

It is possible that he may be depressed and unmotivated. The fact that he gets a lot of help from you, enables him to remain unmotivated and in the spot where he is right now.

One way to help him is to encourage him to seek some help (if in fact he is depressed) The other one is to set some limitations and let him know that since he is an adult, he ought to seek employment and that you have decided that he will pay his own bills. It is not clear what activities he is engaging in at night, but that put aside, the fact remains that he is not doing anything to change his situation and unfortunately, the help you are offering him is only hindering him (doing the same thing and expecting a different response) generally does not occur.