Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.

Im 4 months pregnant and my significant other just told me

Customer Question

I'm 4 months pregnant and my significant other just told me that he isn't excited at all about the baby. In fact, the more I show, the more he pulls away from me. We were supposed to go together to find out the sex of the baby in 2 days, and now he is refusing to go. I'm heartbroken and suddenly very afraid that when the baby comes, he won't be involved and will leave our child fatherless. Is there anything I can do to calm his nerves and help him adjust?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Morning,

You are right to be concerned. It may be "cold feet" or the realization that he will have to carry all the responsibilities of fatherhood or it may be anything else going on with him.

Couple's counseling may be very helpful as it will give the two of you a chance to have an objective person help you in sorting out your feelings.

Otherwise, you can only try to inquire from him as to what had led to this (he himself may not even know the answer to it) Try to find out how he feels about you, if anything had changed or if he just fees overwhelmed and confused.