danny541
danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience:  Have 5 children !

My 3 yr old son realizes he has to go to sleep alone, he understands

My 3 yr old son realizes he has to go to sleep alone, he understands that he has to sleep so as not to be tired and feel well at school, so he tries very hard to get to sleep. He doesn't get out of bed, he only calls me and when I go to his bed he is all sweating. I think he is afraid. Also when I read him bed time stories he is afraid of the bad wolf, but he insists that I read that story.
I have to admit that I breastfed him until he was 18 months old and that we were c-sleeping until to 2-3 months ago.
So I wonder what is best for him. Should I take him to bed with me, until he feels stronger, or should I keep on training to sleep.
WHat is best for my child?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  danny541 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

You need to stick to him sleeping by himself, and its time to stop the book reading about the big bad wolfe if he is having dreams about the wolfe.

Try buying or books from the library with characters that are happy about bedtime,there are several good books out there, to help in this!

Also reassuring him that you are just in the next room and will hear him if he needs you for any reason, sometimes a warm bath before sleeping also helps.

Try to make sure before bedtime that its a happy time for him before he goes to bed,no scary stories at this age kids have great imaginations and even a shadow can look like something scary,a closet door left open.

It is best if you keep to this now as he gets older if you go back to allowing him to share a bed with you,it will only make it worse on him, or if you are married or would get married and he could no longer share a bed with him,he would feel you are replacing him, so continue on, with getting him used to it, stay with him till he falls back to sleep after waking from a bad dream,it will reassure him to fall back asleep, then you can return to your own bed.

If you would like to discuss this further, or have more concerns, please feel free to ask!

If not, please "REMEMBER " to click the green accept button so the site pays me!

And,"POSITIVE FEEDBACK" only takes a moment and is a great way to say "THANK YOU"!
danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience: Have 5 children !