Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Parenting Book Author, 13+ years of experience.

I am concerned about my 17 year old daughter. She is 53 and

Customer Question

I am concerned about my 17 year old daughter. She is 5'3" and has always had a little bubble butt and a few more curves than her friends. Don't get me wrong she has a very cute shape, but now that she's a little older she is really having to be careful about what she eats. She compains sometimes about being unhappy about how she looks. I know she is very uncomfortable in a swimsuit. I've tryed to give her advice on exercising and have even done it with her. I just can't seem to bring up food issues or her working out without hurting her feelings
what should I do?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Morning,

Any teenager will be hyper sensitive even to what they feel is the slightest criticism (although you're actually trying to help her by motivating her)

She most certainly knows that you mean well. Since you know her better than anyone else, think of some times when you gave her feedback in a neutral way as to where she did not feel afflicted.

Perhaps stocking the fridge with healthy things and encouraging her to eat those versus what teens ofter chose (junk food and sodas), getting some exercise DVDs and when you exercise with her next time let her know that those are also available in case she wants to exercise by herself.

There are different bathing suites that can compliment a figure and finding a bathing suite in which she would feel comfortable can make her feel good.

Just be weary of any unhealthy eating habits on her such as binging or purging or restricting food intake or of overexercising (since those can lead to eating disorders and these are common in teens and young adults)