Walter
Walter, Consultant
Experience:  Mentoring Parents on Understanding and Accepting the Challenges of Parenthood.
997364

My daughter is 6 yrs old & in 1st grade. She spent the summer

My daughter is 6 yrs old & in 1st grade. She spent the summer on grandma's farm, so probably didn't write or read during vacation. We're only 2 weeks into 1st grade, but it looks like she's really fallen backwards academically! Homework is a nightmare! We repeat basic words like: and, the, can, red, run, etc... hundreds of times...reciting & writing...and then she can't write the word when asked to. I was looking through some of her preschool work & was horrified when I saw that she wrote better at that time! I read somewhere that 80% of all we know, we learned by the age of 8! If that's the case, should I be pushing the panic button? Should I get her enrolled in something like Sylvan? I'm willing to look for help, because I'm not very bright or patient. I lose my patience & then it makes matters worse. Should I be concerned? If so, what should I do?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Walter replied 5 years ago.

If your having her write these words hundreds of times, she is likely being overly stimulated with this. While children do regress some over the summer, its normally picked up within the first month of school.

My main concern, is that as you mentioned you have very little patience with this and are making things worse. The last thing you want to do is cause her to regress and refuse to do the work. Right now she feels bad enough that she is struggling......but add on the extra work she is being required to do and your anxiety (Which she can sense and feel) and she is likely a bundle of anxiety and fear over the whole matter, not a good mixture when you want her to learn something.

The first step is to calm down, if she knew it once.....she will know it again. But pushing is only going to cause more harm. As for Sylvan, to be honest I love this program even for children who are not behind as school is very difficult to begin with for some children and that extra one on one often helps children get caught up quickly in a fun and non stressful environment. And in most cases in a short amount of time they can have your child at or above the average! Sylvan is a huge helping hand to keeping children interested in school and getting them back on track.

If you have the resources to use Sylvan then yes it would be helpful in more ways then one. I would also suggest that you speak with them on the best way for you to help her with her homework when she is not in Sylvan so you can make sure you are helping her in the way that is most beneficial to her learning.

I know it is frustrating and scary when your child begins to fall behind, but try to stay calm and remember if she knew this once she will learn it again.

Walter

Walter, Consultant
Experience: Mentoring Parents on Understanding and Accepting the Challenges of Parenthood.