Charlene Hertzberg
Charlene Hertzberg, Child care provider, parent, teache
Experience:  22 years of experience working with children, formerly worked as a parental advisor
2993944

I have recently met a wonderful man that I have become very

I have recently met a wonderful man that I have become very serious about and he feels the same about me. We both feel that after some time of getting to know one another that we could see ourselves making a serious commitment someday. I have 4 children 18, 15, 10, and 7 all boys , he has a 13 yr old girl and a 9 year old son. We both feel that our children come first and know that they would have to approve. I have only just met his children a few times, we have had dinner at his house together and he met one of my sons so far. He has been out of his previous relationship for close to a year now, but has not had any other woman in there lives during this period but me recently. I am still nervous about how to approach the kids, I want so much for them to like me and my children and it is important to me not to make them feel like they are being invaded in their home, I think I should not push myself on them but not sure how to bond with them. What is a good approach to take?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Charlene Hertzberg replied 5 years ago.
The best bet is to be yourself with the kids. Be friendly but not pushy, share some fun activities with them, and give them a chance to get to know you. Also, make sure that they are not spending all of the time they have with their father with you too, they need to have time alone with him, especially while they get used to you being around. Try to approach it from the standpoint of becoming their friend. You might even have their dad talk with them and let them know that he likes you very much and that he hopes they will become friends with you, and form a good relationship with you, but that neither of you intends for you to replace their mother in any way. The kids are old enough to understand. Since your youngest boys are close in age to his son, getting together as a group may be a fun and easy to get to know each other also.
Experience: 22 years of experience working with children, formerly worked as a parental advisor