Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2

My daughter is almost 23 months and when she eats sometimes

My daughter is almost 23 months and when she eats sometimes she will take a very long time to chew and swallow. This doesn't seem to be a problem when she is hungry and has a big appetite but as the meal progresses or even with snacks sometimes. I haven't thought much of it until someone pointed out that she might need oral therapy. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

It's possible that she does have an oral/mandibular (jaw)/dental problem which is causing her to chew and swallow over an extended period of time, so your first course of action should be to make an appointment with her Pediatrician to check for any underlying medical/physical reason for this symptom. Also, consider the types of foods/snacks she's chewing.

If you do see her chewing/swallowing normally, at other times, like when she is more hungry, but as the meal progresses, her mouth seems to become 'tired', this proves she can chew/swallow with no problem, sometimes, but she just may be getting tired if she's been eating for a while. Also, could these incidents be occurring close to her nap or usual nighttime sleeping times? For example, if she eats a meal or snack right before her afternoon nap or right before her nightly bedtime, she might be more physically tired and that's why her chewing time slows down.

Check this out with her doctor, first, and then take it from there.

I hope all will be well with your little girl!