Walter, Consultant
Experience:  Mentoring Parents on Understanding and Accepting the Challenges of Parenthood.

Hi I am concerned about a child. She has been to my home on

Hi I am concerned about a child. She has been to my home on a number of occcasions and has said some very advanced things for a child her age. She told my 7 year old daughter that she dreams of oral sex with her boyfriend, she then said she had started her periods as there was blood in her underwear and actually hasnt. She then was left in my care after her grandmother called her an ugly little freak, and i spotted she had headlice. When i told her she had them, she said she had had them for 3 weeks and her mother had told her not to tell anyone. She then screamed when she had to be returned home as she said she hated it there. Am i reading too much into this or should it be reported?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

How old is she?

Who does she live with?

Any other signs of abuse?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is now 9 years old. She is currently living with her mother @ her nans house.. Her mother has 1 brother and 7 sisters. I think alot of them live in the same house but not sure how many of them. I have no other concerns other than those i have expressed already
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

At 9 she is a little young to be displaying the sexual actions she already has. At 9 some girls do start to notice sexuality, and even mimic the behavior of those around them......but it can also come from abuse that the child has received. Wither she is being abused or not is questionable, but the comment of blood on her underpants is very concerning.

A child this young could mistake blood thinking it is from a period when in fact it could be from abuse, infection, or a illness. While children this young can and have went though pre puberty and experienced early menstration the fact is this is not necessarily the case.

Based on her sexual comments, the blood comment and her fear at returning home I would be concerned. The lice while not a abuse issue, could be deemed as neglect since mom has allowed it to go on for so long.

I know its often difficult to know when to make the call or not, but the fear of making a false report should never shadow what is in the best interest of the child. Often the little things that concern us are natures way of telling us something simply is not right. It sounds like you already know this......and based on what you are telling me I would agree.

I would say yes a quick call to the proper authorities informing them of the situation would be warranted in this case. The fact is if nothing is going on then there is no harm, but if something is going on and no one reports this then we risk the child being further harmed due to our own fears of being wrong.