Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Family Counselor
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

my husband and i are fighting about my daughter all the time.

Customer Question

my husband and i are fighting about my daughter all the time. i made breakfast for eveyone after i cleaned the house while my husband was sleeping. we all ate the breakfast i made and i wanted to relax for 1 minute before i decided what to do next. my husband gets up and starts yelling at me and i told him can i just have a minute to relax because i have been cleaning and cooking whie he was sleeping. is it unreasonable for me to ask for 1 minute to relax before we start yelling about my daughter again? he just sends her to her room upstairs all the time. i want to punish her also but i always want to talk to her first. he doesn't like that and gets mad every time i talk to her. he feels more comfortable when she is just gone and out of his hair. this is what we fight about all the time because he just wants her gone. i understand that she should be in trouble for whatever she has done wrong but i don't think its right for her to be in her room all the the time because, how is she going to learn anything? he doesn't want her to eat with us or play with our 3 yr old son (she is 11). he always is mad about this and calls me names constantly.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi,Customer

What is your daughter doing, that requires punishment?

Is she the type of child that doesn't listen to you when you ask her to do things?

Is she a good student?

Does she have nice friends?

What is it that she's always in trouble about?

How does she get along with your younger son?

Are your son and your daughter both biological children of you and your husband (or was one of you married before, etc.)?

Thanks for all your additional detail.

Cher