danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience:  Have 5 children !

I have a thirteen year old daughter who is obsessed with her

Customer Question

I have a thirteen year old daughter who is obsessed with her hair, makeup and clothes. She spends HOURS fixing her hair, applying makeup and changes clothes 3 or 4 times a day. She
won't go anywhere unless she has her hair done, her makeup on, and her clothes are perfect, not even to go swimming or to her grandparents house to just hang out with them. She also
wears so much perfume and perfumed lotion that her brother and I, who both have asthma
have trouble breathing around her at times. Help!!! What can I do to make her stop being so obsessed with herself?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Most young girls at this age get obsessed about how they look,and what they wear!

Its important if you haven't already sat her down to talk to let her know that at her its important to keep herself clean and yes she will want to be careful what she wears, but the perfume and the lotion is too much and she will need to quit wearing it immediately because it is making you and your son sick!

Its doubtful that she will stop changing her clothes so much no matter what you say, but the makeup if its too obsessive when school starts again, they may very well talk to you about it also! So if you don't want her wearing so much, now is the time to speak up!

Sometimes we have to set down rules that our children don't like, but its still our job to say its too much,some small amount of makeup is alright but if its too much,you need to tell her what she can and can't wear!

You might try as far as the perfume and lotion is concerned,try taking her shopping and buy her lighter fragrances and lotions that you feel you can handle, because your health is more important! I have asthma myself and have to be very careful about what sprays I use and some cleaning products also! So you will have to make her realize this is not acceptable.

Also some roll on colognes are a little more easy to handle than the sprays!

If you have additional questions on this lets talk about it, I'm here!

If not, please remember to click the green accept button, so the site pays me for my help!

Also ,"POSITIVE FEEDBACK" is really appreciated by me to help with my "RATINGS" and a great way to tell me,"THANK YOU!"