Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2

Parent of a 15 yo girl. Has a been friends with a boy for

Parent of a 15 yo girl. Has a been friends with a boy for about 4 months. They have gone to a group movie once and mostly text and ichat now that school is over. She really likes the boy and wants to hang out with him and for him to call, but he just sends the occasional text with I miss you ect. I have tried to teach her that you cannot get to know someone over text. What advice should I give her in how to proceed in proper communication with this boy?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question.

If the boy is the same age as your daughter (15), boys are usually not as 'communicative' as girls, at this age. If she knows him from school, and has spent short amounts of time with him, with other friends around, I completely agree with you, that texting is not the way to get to know another person well, but, unfortunately, it's the mode of communication of choice for teens, nowadays.

You can let her know that speaking on the phone or even emailing (as opposed to texting, which involves only short messages) are better ways to get to know him. If she'd like to hang out with him and he hasn't called her, there's nothing wrong with her calling him to invite him to a specific event, like another group movie, bowling, etc., so she can spend more 'in person' time with him. She can also send him a cute greeting card, that's humorous, and write something like: 'this made me think of you', then add her phone number under her signature, and write 'call me'.