danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience:  Have 5 children !

My 7 year old granddaughter stays with me quite a bit. Her

My 7 year old granddaughter stays with me quite a bit. Her mom abandoned her when she was 3 years old and her father is raising her by himself. We get along really well most of the time, but sometimes she will start horsing around and grabs me around the leg, or ankle, or holds on to my shirt or arm and won't let go. I literally can't move. I'm afraid if I pull too hard to get away either I will fall (I'm 67) or she will fall and get hurt. Nothing I can say or do will get her to stop. She acts like she thinks this is funny, but I don't. Any advice?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

It is time for dad and you to sit down and talk to her, let her know this kind of rough playing is neither funny,nor is it safe! I think the older we get sometimes we are unable to see that some things we just can no longer do, and it sounds like you realize this and are trying to prevent injury's down the road that could occur!

What would be the best is to show her what its like by seeing people that have broken leg's or bones so she will fully understand what could happen,it will take time for her to remember each time not to rough house with you, but if you keep reminding her, and dad tells her no more rough housing with him either this will help!

I would also every time she forgets and starts, I would make up a little sign between you and her to let her know its going to far,say maybe a hand put up in the stop gesture, and say, "stop" it is going to far to help remind her!

I welcome any additional questions or discussion on this you may have!

If not, please remember to click the green accept button, so the site pays me for my advice!

Also,"POSITIVE FEEDBACK," is very important to me for my ratings, and a great way to say,"THANK YOU!"