danny541
danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience:  Have 5 children !
4284543

My son has gross motor delays and gross developmental delays

Customer Question

My son has gross motor delays and gross developmental delays and I am unsure how to handle his shrieking, I have tried ignoring him, trying to ask him what he wants and trying to encourage an answer and more but am getting nowhere in this. Any suggestions???
Category: Parenting
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Is he seeing anyone for his delays?

If he has, what have they suggested so far?

Have you tried anything else at all?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry it took so long to answer, been rather caught up in things.

1. He is seeing the Niagara Peninsula childrens center occupational therapists.

2. I am waiting to get to see a speach specialist but that could take a few months.

3. Ignoreing it, trying to reason with him, asking him what exactly he wants, suggesting items that may be what he wants such as his bottle, changing, food etc...
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
First I want to say,I know you have your hands full, its very frustrating when you are trying so hard to work with your son and seem that you are getting no where!

That being said, I believe that the best thing to try would be when he is in a good mood and remember he's very angry which is why he starts to throw a fit because he can't do what he wants his body so hard to do, explain to him that you understand that he is angry, your angry too that he has to go through this,but if he is yelling and getting angry, you can't help him!

So if he can stay calm and not yell you and he together will figure it out, because you love him and hate seeing him hurt in this way!

It may take a while to get him to remember but if you just try sitting by and waiting till he calms down and remind him I'm here for you, but I can't help if you are yelling!

Eventually it will get through to him and it will stop! But you must stay firm with it, he has so much anger in him because his own body won't work the way it should! He wants to do the things himself without help! And someday he will but life will be hard for him and he will have to work at patience much harder than you or I.

If you would like to discuss this further, I'm here for you!

If not, please remember to click the green accept button, so the site pays me for my help!

Also,"POSITIVE FEEDBACK," is."VERY IMPORTANT," to me,and a great way to say,"THANK YOU!"
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I dont see that working for an 18 month old, he doesnt listen to reason and everything I am trying including that is not working.
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
Your right,it would only work to a point! But another suggestion was put to me from another expert!

You might consider teaching your son baby sign language,when babies are this age,and act like that,its out of frustration with not being able to communicate.Since he is having the developmental and speech delays this is likely the case!

He should be able to learn enough to get close to a sign that you can both understand. All studies also show that in kids with speech delays, teaching sign language actually encourages oral speech developmental problems!

Please remember to click the green accept button,so the site pays me for my help!

Positive feedback is also a big help to me!