danny541
danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience:  Have 5 children !

I am a single mom of a 6 year old boy. He has never met his

I am a single mom of a 6 year old boy. He has never met his father and has been asking more and more questions about his dad. I used to just answer these questons by saying that all families are different and some have both parents and some only have one. This answer isn't satisfying him anymore. His father is someone I dated for a little over 6 months. He has always been heavily involved with drugs. When I found out I was pregnant I asked him to stop and he said that he couldn't and that was when I left. He still tried to contact me after I left, so much that he stalked me and I ended up getting a restraining order against him. The order of protection expired when my son was 1 and we haven't had any contact since. I know my son is better off without him in his life. I have my father and 3 brothers that spend "boy time" with him. I don't want to lie to my son and I don't want to give him more information than he can handle. What's the best way to handle this?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  danny541 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Its a tough thing when children get old enough to start to realize that one parent isn't there. The best you can tell him at 6 is that daddy was sick or that dad was sick and had to go away,to try to get better, and as far as you know he is still sick. Thats the truth, he has a drug problem and unless he changed it he is still going to be that way.

He is really lucky to have a mom that realized the situation was bad and got him away from it,and luckier still that your dad and brothers can step in and be a "father" figure for him!

If you would like to discuss this further, please let me know!

If not, please remember to click the green accept button, so the site pays me for my answer!

Positive feedback is a great way to say,"THANK YOU" for my help! As well, if you would like a small "Bonus" is great!
danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience: Have 5 children !