Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2

I have a 16 year old son that has been harrassed by a gang

I have a 16 year old son that has been harrassed by a gang for 2 years in school. It ended with a fight that my son was involved in and now the school board is trying to send him to an alternative school with the same gang members. This is the only fight he has been in he has been in since he has been in school. I do not want him to go because there is word that when he gets there, it is going to be a fight. What do I do?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear your son has been experiencing this problem for such a long time. If you had reported the troubles with this gang, to the teachers, Principal and/or School Board members, when the problem first started, it was the school's obligation to put an end to the harassment. Because the fight ensued, and because of the past harassment by these gang members, it would be ridiculous to send your son to the same alternative school where they were sent.

I recommend speaking to the School Board, if this is their decision, and explain the situation, fully, plus, request that if your son can no longer attend his regular school, that he be allowed to attend a different alternative school, or another High School close to where you live, even if you are not zoned for it; in extenuating circumstances, exceptions can be made.

I hope your son wasn't hurt in the fight, and that you're able to change his assignment to this particular alternative school.