danny541
danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience:  Have 5 children !
4284543

our grandson is turning 3. he shares a bedroom with his brother.

our grandson is turning 3. he shares a bedroom with his brother. They get along well and each have a bed. lately he has been coming every night to his parents bed and finds a comfy spot. they are getting no sleep as he fusses when they take him back and just sneeks back into their bed later. Dad has a big job and needs his rest as well as Mom does too. He does not have a toy or stuffed animal that he is attached to unlike the other children so they can't take that away. As well he speaks spanglish and baby talk so there is a problem with conversing at this point too. The parents hate to make him think he isn't wanted in their bed either but have tried most everything including being firm about it. I told them to try telling him that he can't have his favorite blanket in their bed anymore. What else can they do? please help us.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Director of Child Psychiatric Unit replied 5 years ago.

Hi ninnie2

This is perfectly normal behavior for a 3 year old and there are so many proven techniques for them to try to help him transition back to his own bed.

I am going to send this over to the parenting forum when the Parenting Experts will be able to explain all of those to you :-)

Best of luck!
Expert:  danny541 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

How old is the brother he is sharing the room with?

Is he adopted, you said there is a problem with talking to him? How many children are in the house?

Is it possible that the brother he shares a room with is scaring him, with stories, or saying things to scare him?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the brother sharing room is 6 years old.

The family is very solid and no adoptions either. The problem of language is

because they are from Pt. Moody and have moved to Lima, Peru this past

July 08. So the family has to learn a new language of Spanish. the maid at the

house is not speaking english. Thomas hears some of each language so he

is speaking Spanglish.

Hopefully that is not so about scaring Thomas. According to our daughter

both boys are happy about the sharing of the room. Thomas does not leave his

room until later at night. He doesn't appear to be scared when he arrives in their room.

Expert:  danny541 replied 5 years ago.
If he has never done this type of behavior before they moved to Lima, then there has to be a reason why suddenly he is acting this way, something he has seen or heard!

Its true that at certain ages some children will suddenly start not wanting to sleep in their own bed. So my suggestion is each night before he goes to bed, mom or dad or both, suggest to him, that if he wake up unless something is wrong, such as sick or bad dream, that he is to stay in his bed, and not leave it, unless he has to go to the bathroom. Perhaps make a chart and for every good night he has, give him a gold star, and if he has all gold stars for one week, he gets something special.

You don't want to make him dependent upon a blanket, or a stuffed animal, perhaps even a night light or one of those colored lights that shows stars, or fish might help.

Or a small toy, that he can talk to if he wakes up!

With my son, it was a stuffed Simba lion that he carried to bed, that he still has and he's 20 years old. And eventually he bought him a dream catcher.

With each child it can be different and you may have to talk to him about this every night before he goes to sleep, hand him his special toy, and remind him to stay in his own bed!

danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience: Have 5 children !