danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience:  Have 5 children !

My 17 year old granddaughter is living a life of very hurtful

My 17 year old granddaughter is living a life of very hurtful lies against her mum and dad. She has accummulated massive debts which they have had to pay. She has had a fantastic upbringing but seems to be going around now with the wrong crowd. Her parents don't seem to mean anything to her anymore and they do not know which way to turn.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer !

How long has your granddaughter been acting this way ?

Has anything ever happened to make her act this way towards her parents/

Are they both her natural parents?
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
I'm so sorry to hear that they are having these problems with their daughter at this time!

I think that they need to contact a lawyer about her debts, before she runs up any more. Find a way to protect themselves so that if she gets into other legal problems they won't be held accountable !

Sometimes, teenagers just have to do it the hard way, even though they have had a fantastic upbringing doesn't seem to matter.

They need to just hang in there, be there for her, but not take any problems for her!

Let her know that there are rules that she has to live by, in order to stay with them, its called tough love, either she lives by the rules, or they will have to find a way to make her responsible for her own actions.

Do not pay her bills, cell phone, clothes, internet access, using the phone at home unless its about her homework, until she learns to be respectful and obey the rules they must no longer give her money she hasn't earned!

Sometimes we give our kids so much that they figure they can just do whatever they want, and mom and dad will not do anything about it.

But what happens when they are gone? She will not be equipped to deal with the world on her own.

A boss, will not take this kind of actions, neither will most people she comes into contact with!

Make her take responsibility for he own life and her own bills, she'll learn to appreciate what she has, but they must stay firm.

If you would like to discuss this further, please let me know!

Also , please remember to click the green accept button, so I'm paid for my advice!

Positive feedback is appreciated !