danny541
danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience:  Have 5 children !
4284543

We purchased a dog 3 years ago primarily our youngest son who

We purchased a dog 3 years ago primarily our youngest son who of course made the promise to feed, excercise and keep the yard clean. Needless to say those promises fell by the wayside unless it was convinient for him. A week before his 18th birthday he left home leaving the dog behind. We have assumed the care of the dog and continue to pay for all of her expenses and licensing. We also paid for all of her expenses since we adopted her. Does he have any legal rights to the family pet.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Since the dog was adopted by you the parents, and you have paid all the expenses that go along with owning the dog.

You are the ones who have the right to ownership. He can not come in and take the dog,just because, you bought the dog to teach him responsibility.

If you do want want to give the dog up, your the only ones that have a right to the pet!

Please remember to click the green accept button, so I get paid for my answer!

Positive feedback is appreciated !
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, I sure hope that it is legally correct as our teenage son is being a real butt right now. I did accept your answer, hopefully you did get paid.

I did and I thank you!

The answer is correct, you adopted the dog,even though it was for him he took no responsibility for the pet, so its correct!

Good luck!