Ms Chase
Ms Chase, #1 Just Answer Parenting Expert
Experience:  Just Answer Parenting Mentor, Emotional, Behavioral & Physical Issues. Babies to Teens.

My husband plays softball every Sundays. The thing is he has

My husband plays softball every Sundays. The thing is he has to take my 8 and 6 years old w/ him cause I have to work. I am worried that when he is out in the field, the kids are left unattended. Should I be concern? When I approached him about this, he said that they are safe. I really dont think so and I am worried. What should I do? Please help.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 7 years ago.

You should be worried. Unless there is a dedicated parent or parents depending on the amount of children, then there is a definite risk. I hate to generalize, but men sometimes think they can do more things at one time than they may be capable of and it sounds like he's downplaying the real danger. There's not just danger that someone could walk off with them, but that they could get hurt by another child or adult, walk off on their own, get bit or stung, and he would be immersed in the softball game. Eight might be passable depending on the level of maturity, but it's still very young, and six in my opinion is out of the question to be left unattended, even for a few minutes.

You may have to take a day off of work to go to the game and see how the kids are being kept. Even if it means you don't tell him that you're coming by. A very drastic measure would be to pull up and have the kids get in the car while he's not looking and park a little further away where he can't see the car, and see how long it takes him to realize they are gone. Like I said, very drastic and liable to cause an argument, but the point will be driven home.

I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more.