danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience:  Have 5 children !

How do I teach my 2 year old not to throw things at people

Customer Question

How do I teach my 2 year old not to throw things at people?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

What have you tried to do so far?

Is there a reason why he is throwing things? Angry, etc..

What is the reaction from others when he does this, or your reaction?
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
If I were to take a guess at this I would say your best action to help stop this is..

1. Get down his/her level and tell them these are not good actions on their part, you could hurt someone or make them mad too!

2. Try a time out, 5 minutes per year,which would be 10 minutes in a two year old's case!

3. I would not try making the child feel guilty by telling them you are very sad that they won't quit.

4. Ask them why they are so mad as to throw things.

5. Possibly have a poster you make for stars each day they are good, and if at the end of the day, they have not thrown anything, offer a small reward.

Kids like all sorts of small things at this age, a small ball, a toy soldier, car, it can be a small thing from a gumball machine!

The point is to make it clear to them its unacceptable to act this way and if they won't at least try, then its a time out, stick to it, no yelling,or getting angry yourself, just calmly work with them until they comply. Its a very normal thing for two years old's to throw things or get easily upset over things they can not understand, but they need to learn its not a correct way to behave.

Please remember to click the green accept button if you are satisfied with my answer, so I get paid!

Also I would really appreciate if you leave positive feedback, its really good for my ratings!