Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
1470369

My son is 10 years old and refuses to wipe after he goes to

My son is 10 years old and refuses to wipe after he goes to the bathroom. He denys that he doesn't wipe.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

It's possible that he feels he makes a mess or doesn't do this well, so if you can demonstrate for him the best way to do it, on a doll, etc., this may help. Also, supply him with bathroom wipes (the ones made for kids, in an attractive container, or just the regular ones by Cottonelle, etc.), so it's easier for him to wipe and clean up, if he's not as successful with the toilet tissue. Then, show him good hand-washing techniques, again, with a 'fun' antibacterial soap pump that will make the task more exciting.

Some children don't like getting 'dirty', and touching back there, to wipe, but you can help him overcome this, with a positive attitude, and supplying the right 'tools', to make him feel more confident in the job he's doing. Also, explain to him how important it is to do this, to maintain good health, as he will feel uncomfortable and itchy, and might get an infection, if he doesn't wipe or doesn't wipe properly, so it's something that's necessary to be done, even though he may not like doing it. For the moment, offer rewards if he wipes after he goes, and the incentive should help.

I wish you much good luck and hope things improve, soon!

Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience: Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Any other suggestions? I've done those before you've suggested it.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

No, I'm sorry, I have no other suggestions at this time, but perhaps some other parenting experts will have other ideas for you.

Cher
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Could you please tell me what all you have tried so far?

Does he say why he doesn't do this as he should after you have discussed it with him? Or will he ever admit that he has lied?

Is it at all possible that he has tried, but does it badly, or incorrectly?

Let's discuss this and see if we can figure it out,I welcome any and all thoughts you may have, nothing is so wrong we can't figure it out!