danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience:  Have 5 children !

me my girlfriend and our 3 kids live in a house with her sister

me my girlfriend and our 3 kids live in a house with her sister who is being investigated by dcfs and see a social worker in the house on the regular and has heard me and my girlfriend argue and has mention that she wants to ask us questions i wanted to know how should i handle this
Category: Parenting
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

When dealing with DCFS or social workers, you need to be totally truthful with them.If you try to cover up or hide thing's it will just get worse when they find out.

All people argue from time to time, they can't hold that against you, unless its gets violent or its constantly happening in front of the kids, it causes stress to them if it happens often.

While I don't know the entire situation about the problem I do know about social workers and DCFS. And being honest is the best course.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So when it comes to the questions do we have to allow them to talk to the kids I just want to be sure that we are being treated fairly because it seem like they can do what ever they want and most people can do little or nothing to stop them I just want to protect my kids and not be unfairly accused of something as terrible as abuse
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
You do as a parent have the right to not allow the kids to speak to them alone, but if there is nothing to hide, then its better to allow them to speak to them.

They have to go a long with certain rules, and its true that they seem to do whatever they want or they can hold it over you. But if there is no abuse going on, and you have done nothing wrong, then I see no reason to not allow them to speak to them. I would ask them if they do ask to speak to them alone, just ask them why, they feel the need to do this and what are they speaking to the children about.

If you feel that the reasons are not valid, tell them so. Be quiet, but firm, with them, let them no if you feel they are going beyond their rights as workers for children.

If there is some other reason beyond the fight, then I would let them no, that you see no reason to allow it. But, and I do stress this. if you have ever had charges of abuse against children have ever been brought against you before, then you will be running into problems. They will find out eventually!

But if there is nothing to hide, keep it casual, that you can only allow them to speak to the children privately if a third party, is present, to protect any rights of yours or the children.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i really apreciate your help and will take your advice you made me feel so much better in this situation thank you very much
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
I'm glad I was of help to you! Please consider leaving positive feedback, in the feedback section.