danny541
danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience:  Have 5 children !
4284543

how do you handle a five year old that is continually dishonest

Customer Question

how do you handle a five year old that is continually dishonest and not very remorseful for actions that hurt others, particularly siblings?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

What have you tried doing so far to get him to stop?

Was there anything that happened when he started doing these things?

Is mom and dad both at home and how old are the other children?

As soon as I get answers on these questions we can begin to try to figure out why he is acting this way and how we can stop it.
Expert:  danny541 replied 7 years ago.
First you find out why he is exhibiting this type behavior. It could be that he is showing anger in this way, because he is unhappy about something. It of course can't be allowed.

He's very young, to be doing these thing's, so I would suggest taking him to a counselor to get to the bottom of it, and to let him be made clear why he shouldn't be doing these things.

I assume you have tried talking to him about it and its not working. So that would be the next step to see why he is doing it, all kids to a point will be dishonest when they think they will be punished for what they have done,so a little of that is an expected thing, but not all the time and not at the expense of hurting others and it needs to get across to him.

Please let me know if you have other thoughts on this or need more explanation!