Ms Chase
Ms Chase, #1 Just Answer Parenting Expert
Experience:  Just Answer Parenting Mentor, Emotional, Behavioral & Physical Issues. Babies to Teens.
1042561

I ran over my 7 year old daughter dog by accident, should I

I ran over my 7 year old daughter dog by accident, should I tell her the truth, or tell her that the pet was found dead?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 7 years ago.
NO. do not tell her you killed it. No no no. Telling her the dog died will be hard enough without the slight off-chance that she might blame you for it, or think you did it on purpose. Children have a difficult time differentiating between fact and fiction at this age, and when she gets into her teens she may remember the whole thing differently. I would just explain however you want that the dog died, and leave it at that. In fact, I would avoid telling anyone what happened, to insure that it never gets back to her at all. When she's 30, you can talk about it and she might understand, but at this age it's too risky.

Chase