Charlene Hertzberg
Charlene Hertzberg, Child care provider, parent, teache
Experience:  22 years of experience working with children, formerly worked as a parental advisor
2993944

Hi, Ii am still breastfeeding my 15 month old ...

Hi, Ii am still breastfeeding my 15 month old son, and would like to stop. He has always had both breast and bottle, but since he was unwell a couple of weeks ago, he was suckling more than usual for comfort, and even though he is better now, since then he will no longer take a bottle at all. A milk bottle cannot even pass his lips! When I try to refuse to give him breast he gets very upset. Do you have any advice that would help him take the bottle aswell as breast feed, and then stop breastfeeding altogether without him being too distressed about it. Thanks
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Charlene Hertzberg replied 8 years ago.

At 15 months, I'd skip the bottle altogether, and start working with him on taking a sippy cup. Kids, even babies, want to be like the adults around them. Since a sippy cup looks more like what we use, they will often go to a sippy cup when they are not at all interested in a bottle. Then, gradually cut out the times you nurse. Try not to make a huge issue out of it, if he feels you are tense, he won't know why, and it is more likely to make him cling to breastfeeding longer.

Some people also have a lot of success with using a special blanket or stuffed animal while they nurse for a little while and then switching over to using it at the same time as the cup. The baby associates it with the comfort they get and it makes the transition easier. It works well for some, not so well for others, and it does take some time though.

Sincerely,

Charlene