Walter
Walter, Consultant
Experience:  Mentoring Parents on Understanding and Accepting the Challenges of Parenthood.
997364

I have a 9 month old daughter, and everytime I am home

I have a 9 month old daughter, and everytime I am home no matter wheather I am in the next room or right next to her, she cries for me to hold her (only me). If I am not around or home she is fine for the most part.   T his started mid june when we discovered she had a tooth coming in. Any suggestions on how to get her to stop obsessing over me?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

Who else is in the home? (Dad, brother or sister, etc)

What happens if you do not pick her up?

When you come home do you go straight to her?

Does she have a playpen or area to play in?

Walter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
me dad and sister are all in home

if i dont pick her up she crawls to me and will continue to cry.

as soon as she sees sees me walk in the door she starts to cry

she has a area in the living for her and her older sibling to share.
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

This is a typical issue for a child at this age. She has started to realize that you come and go and she wants to be with you at all times. The key is teaching her that she can stay by herself as well. Now that she is mobile she has learned how to chase you down and every time you reward her with the attention she is looking for you actually reinforce the behavior.

All babies need lots of love and attention......so the key is making sure you give her more then enough and then let her learn to entertain herself some. When you come in make sure you pick her up straight away. I know sometimes this is not so easy.....with life, work and other children it is hard. Though a child this young needs reassurance that you love her and are going to be coming back.

Spend a set amount of time with the child....then take her to the area and place her there for play. You may want to consider using baby gates to keep her in her area where she can not track you down as easily.

This will take time.......it is not something that is going to end overnight or even in a few weeks. Children this young can not be trained out of a behavior, but must learn to accept that things are the way they are. Make sure she has adequate space to play in and toys to entertain herself as well. When you have time you can go to her then, though try to not do so when she is actively crying. If you pick her up when she is crying then she thinks that her crying got her what she wanted. By rewarding her when she is not crying she will learn that crying will not get her the attention she is looking for.

Walter

Walter, Consultant
Experience: Mentoring Parents on Understanding and Accepting the Challenges of Parenthood.