Ms Chase
Ms Chase, #1 Just Answer Parenting Expert
Experience:  Just Answer Parenting Mentor, Emotional, Behavioral & Physical Issues. Babies to Teens.

i have a two year old that acts up at nap time that ...

Customer Question

i have a two year old that acts up at nap time that wouldn''t lay down and she thinks it funny?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Are you the mother or the father?

What time does she usually get up? What time does she go for nap?

What does she do before she takes a nap (eat, play, etc)?

What have you done so far to try and get her to stay down?

Does she have a problem going to bed at night?

Does she talk/understand what you say?

Chase
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This child usally get up at 6 in the morning and i lay her down at 12:30 beefore nap we eat lunch. she will not stay in her playpen and is always on the hunt to get into something! I have sat by her playpen to get her to go to sleep but now everything is funny when she doing something that she been told not to. She does understand what i am telling her. loves to be the center of attention!
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Since she does understand you, if you give her a snack with her lunch, then withhold the snack until after nap. From now on, instead of getting her snack for lunch, she'll get it after her nap, so if it's cookies, put them on the table or counter (where she can't reach) and let her know that when she gets up from her nap, that they will be waiting for her. If she laughs when she does something wrong, it's extremely important to keep a straight face, or even a mad face, and say "it's not funny", and then continue on with what you're doing, if you (and everyone else) does this, she will eventually stop. She's old enough to get a "time out", if she does something she's not supposed to do, she should go in the time out spot, it can be a chair in the corner, a step, anywhere you decide, and she sits in time out for no longer than 5 min. If she gets up, put her right back where she was and the 5 min starts over. You can use a cooking timer if you like. It's not too hard to get them to do what you want them to do at this age if you can motivate them. The snack after nap is a good motivator, if she's not crazy about snacks, then choose something you know she likes (toy, game, tv show, etc.) Also, when you put her down for her nap, let her know she doesn't have to go to sleep, she just has to lay down. If she's not tired, then she doesn't have to sleep, she just has to lay there and NOT get out. It's a little psychology because if you can get her to lay there, 9 times out of 10 she will eventually fall asleep. It's not so much about the sleep as it is to get her to lay down. I hope this helps. let me know if you have any other questions

Chase
Experience: Just Answer Parenting Mentor, Emotional, Behavioral & Physical Issues. Babies to Teens.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Ms Chase's Post: I have tried your suggestion before and she's is such a head strong child it makes it difficult to know what to do next or keep working at these suggestion and she might get the message she really does need to listen!
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer

With children, especially ones at this age, continuity is best. Meaning doing the same thing over and over. So if you try something, give it at least three weeks before adding, trying or switching to something new. If you withhold the snack, and she won't lay down, then you need to show her the snack and let her know why she will not get the snack today, you can't give in and give it to her or she will not take you seriously. Again, stick with the process, straight for three weeks and eventually you will see an improvement. Time out should not be used just when she won't take a nap, but at anytime she will not listen.

Chase
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Chase

Thanks so much for your help! I hope to see an
improvement in several weeks in her behavoir!   

Customer
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.
No problem at all. If you need to talk, feel free to request me by name. Good luck with everything. Just remember, at this age, it's a battle of the wills, and who can hold out the longest.

Chase