Ms Chase
Ms Chase, #1 Just Answer Parenting Expert
Experience:  Just Answer Parenting Mentor, Emotional, Behavioral & Physical Issues. Babies to Teens.

I am still trying to deal with 13 year old daughter and ...

Customer Question

I am still trying to deal with 13 year old daughter and husband could I speak to Miss Chase again.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello Lisa,

I am here. We can continue where we left off.

My last statements were

have you sat down and talked to him about it? A big part of his 'toughness' may be false bravado at seeing his little girl turning into a woman, a fear of what comes next. He has to understand how it can hurt and effect her, possibly for the rest of her life

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We talk about it all of the time. We did tonight. He is very hard headed and thinks every issue is black and white, right or wrong.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He is very well-educated. A masters in architecture. He runs his own design/build business. But he also thinks he know everything and is not real willing to listen to other opinions
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello Lisa,

The problem sounds more on his end than your daughters end. This is going to be something that you and him are going to have to work through together and not within earshot of your daughter...even if that means therapy, although I realize that he may not be the type to consider therapy or counseling. Perhaps if you approached it from the aspect of the damage he could cause his daughter by being too rigid or not being able to color outside the lines or think outside the box. The best way to approach it might be to explain that a parent must know when to give in and when to hold their ground. As I said before, he may not be seeing past his concern or worry about her getting older. Be sure that they are spending time with each other alone doing things as well as doing family things. Encourage him to take her to the movies, or to do something she or they both like to do. I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more or if you have anything else to add.