Ms Chase
Ms Chase, #1 Just Answer Parenting Expert
Experience:  Just Answer Parenting Mentor, Emotional, Behavioral & Physical Issues. Babies to Teens.

What does it mean if a teen carves the number thirteen into her hand

No Comment Added
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello stait

What did she use to do this?

Did you ask her? If so what was her response?

What is her age?

Any other issues in the past or currently?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ms Chase's Post: I don't know what she used and she won't say why she did it. She will be 14 next month. She is an honor roll student and very active in sports. She has never been in any trouble. She does have a baby sister now and is a little jealous. Parents are divorced but they have been since she was 3 years old. I though maybe it is something that is a fad right now. Have you heard of any other children dong this?
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello Stait,

May I ask you one more question. Where do you live? (city/state)

Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello Stait,

I'm not sure if you don't feel comfortable giving me your state. I asked because there is a lot of gang activity in some states that deals with a gang called MS 13. One of my thoughts was that perhaps she is friends with someone that is involved with ms 13. My other thought was that maybe it had to do with the fact that she is 13, maybe she has some concerns about getting older, sometimes teenagers do things like this, not realizing that it can leave permanent scars. Another reason could be the start of cutting, which is a form of self injury, somewhat common among teen girls. I would check her arms, legs and stomach and keep a close eye on her if you think this might be the case. I'm going to give you some links below about cutting, but if it continues, you might want to have her see your family doctor, and see what he recommends. Most cutters will cut where it can't be seen and try to hide their wound/s, this seems to be something she wanted others to see and could be attention seeking behavior.

If you need to talk more, it costs nothing to click reply.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ms Chase's Post: Runnemede New Jersey
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for that info. MS-13 is known to be in the following states Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Miami, Southern California, Washington, D.C., Northern Virginia, Maryland, the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, Richmond, and Delaware. In Allentown, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, and other areas of Pennsylvania. This gang is comprised of Hispanic members, and they are very into tattoos and body modification. They tend to gravitate towards younger age teenagers as well as elementary school children. She may have made friends with someone or know someone who may be trying to enlist her, but not telling her much about the gang at all, in fact they may be treating it like a game, just to get her interested.

I'm not saying this is the case, but as you know, as parents we need to look at every aspect of a situation, and keep our minds open to any possibility until we find an answer. I wouldn't automatically accuse her of anything, just pay closer attention to what she's doing. You can click here to see more info on MS 13, some of the links have pictures. You can look through her notebooks and doodling to see if this number 13 is showing up.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance, or if you want to talk more