danny541
danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience:  Have 5 children !
4284543

How do you know if your five year old is autistic or just shy

My child does not talk in school spontaneously and usually plays along side the other children she will be 5 at the end June
Category: Parenting
Expert:  danny541 replied 8 years ago.

Hello andwelcome to Just Answer !

Does she show any other signs ?

Is she in kindergarden or pre-school yet ?

How is her work in school ?

Has the teacher or others noticed anything ?

Anything else you want to add ?

Was walking, feeding herself, learning, all else been normal ?

As soon as I get the answers to these, lets talk !

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She is ending pre-k and starting Kindergarten in Sept.   They have noticed she needs assistance in completeing a project and her motor skills are not that great. I took her to my pediatrician and she said abousutely not - she is off the charts on being tall.   At home she is a comlete chatter box and everything was normal until she got into this school
Expert:  danny541 replied 8 years ago.

If you doctor is saying no, and from everything you have stated, she's just shy, it could also be the age.

Children when they first start pre school and even into kindergarden, they feel a little overwhelmed by it all, all the different children the new adults, a new area they really aren't used to ! But as she advances in age, she will either grow out of it, or when she starts to make friend's she will feel more secure in her school !

Her motor skills, your doctor will know best, XXXXX XXXXX its age as she grows she will improve. Her way of speaking and doing projects, that will all change.

During the summer practice with her so she keeps colors, numbers, words, etc. in her memory. Give her regular projects to do. The library is a great place to help during the summer. They have many different programs to keep the children interested and to keep their little minds active and busy !

Just take it a step at a time and encourage her, work on projects with her and make it a fun time ! I believe you will be surprised at how fast she will soon be !

And if she is the little chatterbox at home, she will be when she feels secure, keep helping and talking to her she will get over the major shyness after awhile !

If you have any other questions or concerns, I will be here !