danny541, Parenting Answer Team
Experience:  Have 5 children !

My brother-in-law had an operation for a giant anuerism and ...

My brother-in-law had an operation for a giant anuerism and is going on 13 days in the hospital. He is not yet fully conscious, heavily sedated, intubated, the majority of his head has staples in it, his head is swollen and even for me it is tough to see him look uncomfortable and wired/tubed everywhere. His children 15, 12, 8 have yet to see him and the younget two have been crying every morning b/c they miss their dad. An ICU said the mom should bring them in and I agree but then I am not too sure. It could be pretty traumatic. What do you think?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  danny541 replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer !

It could become a traumatic situation, if its not handled correctly !

Mom, with your help, should sit down and have a very trueful talk with the kids describing exactly what they are going to see, maybe even take a picture so it won't be such a shock when they see their dad.

They are at they are at the right age where if you handle it right, let them know all the things are helping dad to get better, and them its like having the worse cut or a really bad wound, you can't put a bandaid on it, but what they are doing is the best for their dad, and they must stay calm, to let dad know they are there for them.

If you or they think they can handle all that, then by all means let them see dad. We can't always protect our kids from everything or they never learn to accept some things that happen in life !

If you need more on this , please ask !

"PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON "so I get paid for my answer !

And, "POSITIVE FEEDBACK " is greatly appreciated, by me !