Theresa
Theresa, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD. Clinical Psychology - Ex. Director Adolescent Treatment Facility
1277353

how do you get rid of head lice with a solution at home

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No Comment Added
Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.

Hello Grandma:

Head lice is very common in children...Therefore, it is easily treated at home...You will need to go to Wal MArt or your local discount store or drug store and purchase a package of Nix.

I am a cosmetologist also and I have found that Nix is more effective than it's cousin RID. Nix is a cream based shampoo and doesn't run "so to speak" as easily as RID does. This keeps it out of the eyes easier

It will have a comb in the package that is designed to remove the nit (eggs) from the hair.

I have found that after you rinse the shampoo from the hair it is best to divide it into 4 sections. Simply part the hair down the middle from front to back and ear to ear. Upon completing this, divide each of these sections in half. You will have 8 sections total when you are finished.

You will need a few large clips to continue. Beginning in the very back of the head or the nape, take one section down. Working from the bottom up, slice a 1/4 inch section of the hair to separate it from the rest. Clip the large piece of hair out of your way. Begin going through the 1/4 inch section of hair with the nit comb. When you have removed every tiny nit from this section of hair, isolate it with a clip or rubber band so that it doesn't get mixed up with the other hair that you will be working on.

Nix is designed to kill the nit as well as the active Louse. This allows the nit to be removed from the hair shaft easily. I have found that this is also dependent on the length of time that a nit has been on the hair strand. If it was recently placed it will not slide off as easily. Do not panic...What you will need to do if this happens is remove the nit with your finger nails. Simply grip the nit and slide it off.

Removing the nits can be a time consuming and frustrating process. This is why I suggest controlling it by using sections. If you have to answer the telly or use the potty it will stay in place until you resume and you will be able to pick back up where you left off.

Be sure to pick up a couple of cans of miticide while you are out and spray your home furnishings, carpets, etc.; and wash you bed linens in hot water. If you remove your linens and spray the furniture and carpets after you apply the product to the hair you will have peace of mind knowing that any Louse that may have been living in these areas will not have the opportunity to re infest.

I also recommend that a second application of Nix is applied in two weeks to make sure that if by chance any active egg survived the first treatment, the survivors will be gone before the have the chance to re infest heavily.

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, you may request my help by typing:

ATTN:Customerbefore typing your question on the header or subject line and submitting it!

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was looking for a home remedy not a store remedy, that stuff is so expensive and I can't afford to pay 100.00 every time to get rid of them..
Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.

Hi Grandma:

There is one at home treatment that you can use; however, it will need to be repeated every 10 days until 3 treatments have taken place.

If you cover the entire head and scalp with Vaseline, the generic stuff will be fine...and cover the head for 8 hours, the living Louse will be suffocated. The problem with this is it is very messy and hard to remove from the hair. If you add baking soda to your shampoo it will help to cut the Vaseline.

Another problem is that it will not treat the carpet and furniture so the potential for re infestation is present.

You may want to call your local health department to see if they have these products on hand. You may be able to get them there at no charge. If there is a charge it will be much less than a store would charge.

Last thought is that if you have medical insurance they may cover the product. I would first call them to find out because some insurance companies do not pay for over the counter products. If they do, you would have to have a medical doctor write a prescription for it.

Terri