Ms Chase
Ms Chase, #1 Just Answer Parenting Expert
Experience:  Just Answer Parenting Mentor, Emotional, Behavioral & Physical Issues. Babies to Teens.
1042561

my daughter just turned 10 months old on January ...

Customer Question

my daughter just turned 10 months old on January 4. You might think I am crazy but she said her first word at 2 months and is now using two word sentances like hat''s that, Hello There, All done, Who''s that and walks around saying "what''s that", points, waves hello, goodbye, and says wow contantly. She seems to say more than fifty words right now. She also loves to take things apart like her mobil and all of her toys. Is this normal for a 10 month old child? She also seems to be going through the terrible twos early.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello Karen,

You're not crazy. Most children say their first words at 4-5 months. My daughter said her first at one month, it was "cat". Much like your daughter she was talking nonstop by 10 months, and drew attention wherever she went. She also got her teeth very early (at 1 month), and took things apart. I would not worry at all, she's just developing faster than normal. I would take time with her to start teaching her numbers, letters, colors, etc. With work, she might be able to be reading by the time she enters kindergarten. I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more.

Warmly

Chase

Experience: Just Answer Parenting Mentor, Emotional, Behavioral & Physical Issues. Babies to Teens.
Expert:  danny541 replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer !

Here's some information that might interest you at this web site.

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/C/child_genius/

I have a 4 month old granddaughter, and I have heard her at two months say da-da, but it wasn't a constant repeated word. She does " talk" a lot of baby talk . I have 5 children, and 11 grandchildren. Although two of my girls were straight honor roll through school they never exhibited the the kind of actions your child has.

I'm not saying she is a genius or gifted. But it doesn't hurt to check it out and see what these people have to say about it. Talk to your doctor, and get a second opinion.

If she is, you have to help her development at her speed, to nurture and to aid her in this.

Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hi again Karen,

Your child can be tested for giftedness at some point, but many times children that exhibit these early behaviors are simply exceptionally bright. Many times it's a reflection of the interaction with their parents, which is why I suggested to go ahead and start teaching her the pre k and k activities. Catch it while she's so interested in soaking up and learning. The problem with assessing giftedness is that its going to be a while before she can be accurately assessed. Many gifted children have habits that are not looked favorably upon just as much as the ones that are, like obsessive/compulsive behaviors amongst other things.

Here are a few links that talk about it.

http://www.gt-cybersource.org/Record.aspx?rid=11267&NavID=2_1

http://www.abrsm.org/?page=newsArticles/item.html&id=113

Chae