Charlene Hertzberg
Charlene Hertzberg, Child care provider, parent, teache
Experience:  22 years of experience working with children, formerly worked as a parental advisor
2993944

I kow that all children should go to preschool. But what if ...

I kow that all children should go to preschool. But what if the child is not ready at 4 yrs of age? You can''t force the child. Will a truant officer or a cop be sent out there to find out why the child will not go? Just want to know. I have never heard of that happening until jusrt a few days ago
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Charlene Hertzberg replied 9 years ago.

Preschool is not mandatory. It can be a valuable stepping stool if your child is going to be going into the school system, as it can help them prepare, however you do not need to worry about a truant officer of police officer being sent out. The age at which children are required to be in school varies from state to state, but most are between 6 and 7 years old that they are required to start. Of course even then, most states have rules that will allow you to homeschool if you meet their requirements (again these vary from state to state). If you'd like to tell me your state, I can see if I can locate your state's minimum schooling age for you.

Charlene

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I live in Colorado.

The state of Colorado just changed their minimum compulsory school age this year. It was 7 now it is 6. What this means is that until your child is 6 s/he is not required to attend school of any sort, and thus you do not have to worry that you are violating any laws whatsoever. So, as long as your child starts kindergarten before s/he turns 7, you are fine. In general, I personally would say go with your gut, if you do not feel your child is ready, it's not necessary to push them into it. Try to get him/her into some activities where they are following the instructions of other adults and having positive interactions with other kids... things like gymnastics, swimming, etc are a great way to start breaking the ice.

You can read about the law here:

http://www.jaredpolisfoundation.org/JPFER.Fall.2007/webpages/legislativesession.html

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can help you further. If this answers your question, please be sure to push the green accept button.

Thanks,

Charlene